In every organization that is using the SharePoint platform,one of the major concerns is to keep their document library safe. It is the primary task to maintain the security and integrity of the contents. Who does not want a secure site and secure library? SharePoint 2013 provides several ways to secure a site. One of them is by managing the Security Groups on the SharePoint site.
Implement these steps to secure your site by managing the Security Groups-
a). First of all, decide if you want to share your site externally. If you don;t want the external sharing your can implement these steps to do it:
- Navigate to SharePoint Admin Center.
- Check the box for your site collection.
- Click on the Sharing as shown here in the image.
- Select the option as shown below. Here, You can choose if you want to Share your site externally based on the three different types of access as given in this screen shot.
- Choose if you want to inherit security from parent site or will have its unique security.
b). Create different groups of people and determine their roles you want them to have on your SharePoint 2013 site.
For example, you can break them into three types of users in SharePoint 2013 platform.
- Site Owners- Site owners in a SharePoint platform are simply the users who have full access (admin privileges) to the site.
- Site Members- Site member are those users who work on the SharePoint site. The access could e add, edit and delete contents on the site.
- Site Visitors- These type of users have read only access. They can view the contents but not necessarily have the access to edit them.
c). Now add members to the Group of users you have created.
- Go to Site Settings> Site Permissions and click on a group you have created in the previous step.
- Click New>Add Users
- Add the details in the form opened and click Share button. An email notification would sent to the user.
d). Determine if you want to share the content with your other users. Using this Step you will make your SharePoint site more secure and it is a very important step. You have to regulate the permissions of the users using which they can share any content on the site. Determine the permission accordingly. For this:
- Go to Site Settings> Site Permissions
- Click Access Request Settings
Yes, Here, we are done with the Security group creation and management of their permissions on your site. There are several other options too to increase the security level of your site. Options like Managing the page permissions, creating new security groups and managing their permission levels and configuring access level Settings. Stay tuned for some more tweaks that can secure your SharePoint site in easiest ways.